Friday, September 5, 2008

Where's the Faith

Bible Readings... Luke 17-18
Highlighted Verse... Luke 18:8b - When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?

Thoughts... Just one chapter ago, Jesus had the following exchange with his disciples... The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you. (Luke 17:5-6). And now Jesus wonders if he will even find that much faith when he comes.
How it impressed me... Jesus often chides his disciples about their lack of faith, yet they were with him for three years and saw many miracles and still lacked faith. Lest we think that we are justified or excused for our lack of faith, we need only turn back one more chapter to Luke 16 where we see the rich man who goes to hell and asks that Lazarus go back and talk to his brothers to save them. Jesus tells him that "If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead" (Luke 16:31). Oops, there goes my excuse!
My response to God... Dear Lord, "I do believe; help my unbelief." Help me set aside everything that gets in the way of my faith... that I would trust you completely, surrender to you completely, abandon my life to you.

No comments: