Friday, September 12, 2008

Understatement

Bible Readings... Luke 23
Highlighted Verse... Luke 23:56b - on the Sabbath they rested, as the Law of Moses commands.
Thoughts... Chapter 23 of Luke encompasses the entire Passion of Jesus from his appearance before Pilate and Herod, to the the crowd's condemnation and Pilate's death sentence, to the final crucifixion, death and burial. The chapter closes out with the words "on the Sabbath they rested, as the Law of Moses commands." While the words are specifically referring to women who were accompanying Jesus, it is safe to assume that the religious leaders and crowd did likewise. In these plain-spoken words hide the depths of hypocrisy.
How it impressed me... After killing God's son, the people were careful to make certain that they followed God's command about the Sabbath. If only this type of hypocrisy had ended with this episode, but sadly it is still around today. How often have my actions amounted to the same?  
My response to God... Merciful Father, forgive me when I sin, help me to worship you in spirit and truth... to give you the honor and glory due you... to obey and love you and your commands.

No comments: