Saturday, September 20, 2008

Vanishing Act

Bible Readings... John 7
Highlighted Verse... John 7:30 - At this they tried to seize him, but no one laid a hand on him, because his time had not yet come.
Thoughts... I have always been fascinated by the various instances where the crowd or the temple guards or whoever try to grab Jesus to do him harm or exalt him for their own purposes and he slips away... almost as though vanishing into thin air because his time has not yet come. 
How it impressed me... I wonder if there isn't a general principle at work here. When we attempt to "make" God do something for our own purposes, he slips away out of our grasp and we wonder where he went. Contrast that with when we abandon our plans and await his will. We then get the opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus and hear him teach and be amazed at his knowledge. But we can't get itchy and try to force his hand, he must be our leader.
My response to God... Rabboni, teach me your truths... show me the way... give me life. 

No comments: