Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Repentance

Bible Readings... Luke 15
Highlighted Verse... Luke 15:21 - The son said to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son."
Thoughts... The younger son realizes that he has hit bottom and is no longer worthy of his sonship. He humbly evaluates his worth as similar to one of his father's servants and dreams to be treated as such, then sets out to become less than what he was. In the moment of his greatest weakness he finds strength not of his own design, but in the very sonship that he chose to give up as his father receives him back.

How it impressed me... I normally think of the younger son as a scoundrel, but he shows a measure of repentance here unlike any that I've seen. Stripped of everything he displays a true repentance -- an after-thought, different from the former thought; a change of heart and mind. He no longer makes excuses, but rather simply asks to be. In his absolute surrender he receives the ultimate gift of reunification. The same unity that Jesus prayed for us... that we would be one with him.
My response to God... Gracious Lord, have mercy on me -- a sinner. Forgive me for all my tresspasses. I stand without excuse, guilty of all offenses, at your mercy. Help me to receive those whom you have reunited; make me worthy of your sonship through your sacrifice.

For the most complete treatment of the parable of the prodigal son that I have run across, try Henri Nouwen's The Return of the Prodigal Son. View previous blog entry with an excerpt.

No comments: