Sunday, September 28, 2008

Peace Be With You

Bible Readings... John 14
Highlighted Verse... John 14:1 - Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Thoughts... Jesus is nearing his appointment with the cross and wants to make sure that the disciples understand the most important of his teachings, so he repeats them over and over. The teachings are not complex, but they are hard for earthly ears. The meat of his teaching in this chapter is his oneness with God and how important it is for the disciples to be one with him by obeying his commands as he obeys the father, but he wraps these teachings between a gift that his followers were sure to need in the days to follow... the gift of his peace. 
How it impressed me... God always knows exactly what we need. If we trust him with everything, he will never let us down. Jesus knew that if the disciples were going to make it long enough to apply his teachings and share them with followers to come, they would need all the peace and comfort he could give them. There would be plenty to trouble their hearts in the days ahead... but his peace, which is unlike worldly peace, would see them through anything the world would send their way, so that they could come out the other side.
My response to God... Glorious father, maker of heaven and earth, you know my heart, you know my failures and my weaknesses, and you know what I need even when I don't. Thank you for supplying my deepest needs... even when I'm confused by my desires. FIll me with your truth, grace, and peace.

No comments: