Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Born of the Spirit

Bible Readings... John 3
Highlighted Verse... John 3:8 - The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.
Thoughts... Jesus is trying to explain to Nicodemus that he must be born again, and Nicodemus just isn't getting it. My guess is that when Jesus tells Nicodemus he shouldn't be surprised, Nicodemus is very surprised and confused about this concept he had never considered.
How it impressed me... Since Lauren is in her first year of college, I have had many occasions recently to think back to my college days. As a Catholic amongst all the Baptists at Baylor we had a lot of discussions about being born again... a concept that we had never discussed in my CCD (Catholic Sunday School) classes. I never really understood why they wanted to make such a big deal about it, especially since our spiritual maturity was pretty similar -- sorely lacking. Now, a quarter century later, I'm pondering just what is meant by "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." In the end, we aren't necessarily meant to know everything in this life, but he will make it clear in the Kingdom to come.
My response to God... Jesus, you became flesh and walked among us so that we could commune with you and the Father... that we could be one with the you and the Father... and so that after you died for our sins, the Holy Spirit would breathe new life into us. Holy Spirit breathe on me each day that I may come to a more complete knowledge of the Father and and his ways.

No comments: