Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Stumbling Stone

Bible Readings... Luke 20
Highlighted Verse... Luke 20:18 - Everyone who stumbles over that stone will be broken to pieces, and it will crush anyone it falls on.
Thoughts... Jesus has just finished telling the parable about the evil farmers and finishes by telling the people that when the owner returns he will kill the tenant farmers and bring in new ones. The stone Jesus refers to is himself. He is warning the Pharisees, Saducees, and other religious leaders and teachers of the Law that if they stumbled over who he was and what he represented, then they would be broken and crushed.
How it impressed me... I am constantly amazed at how poorly I have paid attention to all the words in the scriptures. I am very familiar with the parables and main themes in Luke 20 and even the individual verses, but I have no recollection of this verse at all. How many of the words have I failed to see? More importantly, how much of the THE WORD have I failed to notice? When one doesn't notice things in their path, they stumble and fall... to be broken and crushed.
My response to God... Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path... Dear Lord, Help me to hear your silent whispers, understand your words of truth, and acknowledge your sovereignty over everything.

No comments: