Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jesus Knows

Bible Readings... Luke 22
Highlighted Verse... Luke 22:31-32 Jesus said, "Simon, listen to me! Satan has demanded the right to test each one of you, as a farmer does when he separates wheat from the husks. But Simon, I have prayed that your faith will be strong. And when you have come back to me, help the others."
Thoughts... These two verses set up Peter's boast that he is ready to go to jail with Jesus or even die for him, wherein Jesus responds that before the rooster crows Peter will have denied him three times. Jesus' original statement to Peter is reminiscent of the beginning of the Book of Job... namely that Satan has asked for and been given permission to test Peter. Jesus knows about Peter's bravado, Jesus knows Peter's weaknessesl, but Jesus also knows that Peter is capable of leading the group if he can make it back. After the resurrection, Jesus returns to give Peter a chance to redeem himself -- the same three times that Peter denied Jesus. The next thing you know, Peter is leading the disciples and taking the pulpit at Pentecost. Halleluia.
How it impressed me... Jesus knows my strengths and weaknesses too. He will walk with me and hold my hand each step of the way... if I will let him. He knows where I will fail, yet encourages me and prays for me... that I will grow in my love for him and trust in him. Halleluia.
My response to God... Jehova-Rohi, lead me beside the still waters, restore my soul, guide me in the paths of righteousness, that I may dwell in your house forever. Strengthen me when I am weak, encourage me when I doubt, and never, ever let me go. 

No comments: