Monday, September 22, 2008

Innocence or Evil

Bible Readings... John 9
Highlighted Verse... John 9:27 - He answered, "I have told you already and you did not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples, too?"
Thoughts... Several parts of today's reading make me smile... from both real and feigned innocence. In the highlighted verse, the innocence of the blind man contrasts sharply with the evil intentions of the Pharisees. The blind man's innocence brings a fun smile. Later, the Pharisees feign innocence in asking Jesus "What! Are we blind too?" and the smile says more about the gall of the Pharisees.
How it impressed me... One of the lessons from VBS this year was about the blind man. In my presentation of the lesson to the kids, I pretended to make mud from spit and dirt and then put it on a volunteer child. A copule of weeks later, we were up at the UAB hospital visiting with a family and when I spoke to their second grader her greeting was to call me "Spit Man." Often the lesson we are trying to teach is not the lesson that is received! When innocence is the root cause, as with the blind man and the children, it is humorous, but when evil intentions are the root cause, it is just sad.  
My response to God... All-knowing Father God, you know my heart... you know when I am innocent and when I am guilty... help me to respond to your call with with trust and faith, setting aside my agenda, my intentions, and my will for your own.

No comments: