Friday, September 26, 2008

Knowing Whose You Are

Bible Readings... John 13
Highlighted Verse... John 13:3-4 - Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.
Thoughts... Having confidence that his Father had everything under control and that he came from God and was going to return to God, Jesus was secure. He didn't doubt who he belonged to... he didn't doubt what his destiny was... he didn't doubt who was in charge. This confidence and faith in everything that was, is and will be, allowed him to take on the humble trappings of servant to his followers. 
How it impressed me... Much in our society is made of knowing "who" you are. Seminars are given on it, books are written about it, and counselors strive to get their patients to realize it, but like many things in this world, they get it close but not quite right. Instead of knowing "who" you are, if we focus on "whose" we are, we can move from a self-centered arrogance to a God-centered servanthood.
My response to God... Father God, instill in me the firm knowledge of your role in my life... help me in my unbelief to know and trust in you fully... help my eyes to see, my ears to hear, and my heart to grieve over the things that grieve you. Help me to set aside self that I may see only you.

No comments: