Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Law and the Light

Bible Readings... John 8
Highlighted Verse... John 8:13 - The Pharisees challenged him, "Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid."
Thoughts... The keepers of the Law, after hearing Jesus proclaim that he was "the light of the world" strongly protested. They did not protest based on the veracity of his claim, but rather on a fine point of law... that two witnesses were required to testify to the truth. 
How it impressed me... Faced with the promised Messiah, who was giving them the keys to the Kingdom or God, all they could do was stand on the shaky ground of "their" law without acknowledging the Maker of the Law or his Son. How often have I done the same? How often have I taken refuge in a prooftext passage or verse instead of truly seeking to know his way and will.
My response to God... Father God, forgive me for failing to believe that you are the light of the world and that if I will but follow you, that I will not walk in darkness, but instead have the light of your life.

No comments: