Thursday, September 25, 2008

Choose You This Day

Bible Readings... John 12
Highlighted Verse... John 12:42 - Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved praise from men more than praise from God.
Thoughts... Jesus made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem amid the praises of the people, yet at the sound of his words they shrank away from him. Even many of the leaders liked what they heard him say and do, but were afraid of the Pharisees and their control of access to the synagogue, so like the rich young ruler they went away.
How it impressed me... It is not so much peer pressure that turned away the crowd or the leaders or the rich young ruler since they all had significant advantages... the crowd had numbers, the leaders had positions of authority and the rich young ruler had wealth behind them. Instead, it was their love for the world that drew them away. Jesus demands everything from us if we would follow him... no excuses allowed. Today's reading from "My Utmost for His Highest" speaks a similar word.
Our Lord’s teaching can be summed up in this: the relationship that He demands for us is an impossible one unless He has done a super-natural work in us. Jesus Christ demands that His disciple does not allow even the slightest trace of resentment in his heart when faced with tyranny and injustice. No amount of enthusiasm will ever stand up to the strain that Jesus Christ will put upon His servant. Only one thing will bear the strain, and that is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ Himself— a relationship that has been examined, purified, and tested until only one purpose remains and I can truly say, "I am here for God to send me where He will." Everything else may become blurred, but this relationship with Jesus Christ must never be.
We are given free will to choose who we will follow. Will we like Joshua choose God and his Son, or will we like the crowd and the leaders choose the world.
My response to God... Lord, my Lord, help me to choose correctly. Help me to release the resentment in my heart and fill it with you. I "head" know that you can fill any hole that is left, help me to "heart" know it as well. Do a super-natural work in me... fill me with your grace... extend your mercy to me... that I would find contentment in resting in you.

No comments: