Monday, September 15, 2008

No Miracles of Faith

Bible Readings... John 2
Highlighted Verse... John 2:24 - But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men.
Thoughts... Jesus had been in Jerusalem for Passover and had performed some miracles. Some of the people who saw the miracles being performed believed in Jesus because of the miracles, but Jesus would not entrust himself to them. Jesus knew that their belief would last only as long as the memory of the miracles, so he would not perform a show for them. He had no intention of selling out to the crowd.
How it impressed me... I think that it may be part of God's design (some translations word the last part of this verse as "because he knew human nature"), that while a miraculous sign might get us to look towards God, it won't keep us there. We cannot simply experience a miracle or sign and then be somehow transformed to true belief. Instead we must make the transition from looking towards God to a decision of the will to complete surrender. 
My response to God... Father God, you have written your name across creation... you have written your laws upon my heart... you know me and you know what moves me... help to so order my life that you are foremost in my thoughts, desires, and dreams. Help me to follow your lead and to never act simply because the crowd has requested it, but rather to focus on your will and your way.

No comments: