Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What is Truth?

Bible Readings... Acts 7
Highlighted Verse... Acts 7:1 - Then the high priest asked him, "Are these charges true?"
Thoughts... Stephen was seized by members of the Synagogue of the Freedmen and brought before the Sanhedrin where they induced false witnesses to accuse him of speaking against the law. Then the high priest asked him, "Are these charges true?"
How it impressed me... Stephen's trial seems remarkably similar to Jesus' trial in many respect. Both were seized by a mob, turned over to the ruling Jews, confronted by false witnesses (ironically, breaking one of the 10 commandments to convict someone of breaking one of the 10 commandments), then brought before a leader who would ask about truth, while not being interested in real truth, only to find them guilty and put to death. To those who seek their own interests, the truth is a threat that must be dealt with severely, while to those who seek truth no worldly price is too high for the freedom gained. 
My response to God... Father of Truth, Giver of Light, convict me when I seek after my own interests rather than the truth. Open my eyes and heart to the truth. 

No comments: