Monday, October 13, 2008

Jerusalem Theological Seminary

Bible Readings... Acts 6
Highlighted Verse... Acts 6:7 - So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.
Thoughts... The apostles, once a ragtag group of lower class Galileans, learned much under the teaching of the Master. During their apprenticeship, they often acted as though nothing was getting through but when they were under the gun they responded perfectly... with the Holy Spirit's nudging. In this case, the Grecian widows weren't getting their fair share so the apostles set seven Greeks to watch over the food distribution so that they could focus on the Gospel... and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.
How it impressed me... The apostles weren't just reaching out to the uneducated masses and telling them about the saving grace that Jesus offers, they were also reaching out to the Jewish priesthood. Too often, we want to paint all of the Pharisees, Sadducees, scribes and others in the Jewish priesthood as haters of the Gospel, but many -- those who loved God more than themselves -- humbled themselves to learn from the apostles who had been taught by the greatest teacher ever.
My response to God... Great teacher, help me to humble myself that I might learn from anyone who has truth to share. Never allow me to substitute what I think I know, for the truth that you left with us while you were here. Open my eyes, ears, and heart to the stirrings of the Holy Spirit that I might always learn more about you... though not just head knowledge, but the heart love that allows it to flourish and spread.

No comments: