Friday, October 3, 2008

Perfect Completion

Bible Readings... John 19
Highlighted Verse... John 19:30 - Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
Thoughts... When he had completely finished the task his father had given him, down to the last scripture that needed to be fulfilled, leaving nothing unaccomplished, Jesus declared that his purpose for coming to earth was complete. In Matthew 5:17, he said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." His purpose then was to fulfill (to completely meet the requirements) of the law and the prophets. That he not leave even one tiny piece undone, we read in John 19:28 knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." There was no part of the law or the prophets that he didn't intend to completely fulfill for his intent was to save us completely and defeat Satan completely -- no room for mistakes... and he was perfect. 
How it impressed me... How often do I procrastinate starting a task... how often do I fail to give a task my best effort... how often do I say "close enough" when I am tired of a task... how often do I quit before fulfilling the complete requirements. My Jesus never did that, thank you Jesus. Your perfect sacrifice has saved me from my very imperfect self. 
My response to God... Merciful Savior, how can I ever thank you enough for saving me and seeing to it that your purpose was completely fulfilled. Help me to accept your burden for the lost, your desire for love, your example of obedience and complete the task that you have laid out for me.

No comments: