Sunday, October 12, 2008

Count the Cost

Bible Readings... Acts 5
Highlighted Verse... Acts 5:12-13 - The apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon's Colonnade. No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people.
Thoughts... In chapters 2 - 4, after Peter had preached the gospel, thousands were added to their numbers, but now that the cost of believing had increased, "no one else dared join them." Many people want to be a part of a good thing when it is happening. On the day of Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the people lined the roads shouting "Hosanna to the Son of David; Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest!" and then five days later they cried "Crucify Him." Even though they were highly regarded by the people, the people preferred to admire from afar.
How it impressed me... The crowds are enthralled by miracles and excitement, but lose interest when the cost increases. Jesus is searching for laborers in the vineyard who will risk all to receive the great reward he has to offer. Those who wholeheartedly accept the call of Christ will pay any cost to receive the treasure, but not all can carry his yoke.
My response to God... Lord of the Harvest, I desire to follow you wherever you lead me. Help me to keep my eyes on the treasure and close my ears to the crowd. That I may singlemindedly follow after you without regard to the surge of the crowd... that I would count it worth the cost... and never look back.

No comments: