Saturday, October 4, 2008

Earnestly Seeking

Bible Readings... John 20
Highlighted Verse... John 20:10-11,16 - Then the disciples went back to their homes, but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb [...] Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!"
Thoughts... Mary went to the tomb early in the morning and found the stone rolled away, so she went and told the apostles. John and Peter raced to the tomb, they confirmed her story, they saw and believed... and then they went back home. But Mary stayed... Mary lingered in the last place she knew Jesus had been... Mary waited perhaps not knowing why, but she waited... and then she was rewarded by the approach of her Lord.
How it impressed me... When we seek after God to satisfy our own curiosity, he may very well satisfy our curiosity, but he doesn't generally grace us with his presence. But should we decide to linger and just wait on the Lord and his timing, we may be graced with his manifest presence... a gift beyond measure! In Hebrews 11:6 we see that "he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Will you earnestly seek him today?
My response to God... Still my heart Lord that I may shut out my own desires and simply seek your face. Help me to set aside any agenda beyond your will, forgive me of my sins and make your presence known to me. Teach me to love as you do.

No comments: