Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Hardest Parable

Luke 15-16

Every time I read through the parable of the shrewd manager I think maybe this time God will open my eyes to the true meaning, and every time I come away empty. If I read it online, I often try to Google the understanding, but none of the commentaries I've read ring true. I almost thought I found an answer today, but it didn't really speak to my soul. I'm sure there are other parables that I'm wrong about what message God is telling me, but in this parable, I have no such doubts. I am positive that I don't know.

I was reading a blog the other day about anosognosia... not knowing what you don't know. In this case, I'm not clueless about my lack of knowledge, I know very clearly that I don't know what it means, but it got me to thinking about those areas where I think I know what God is telling me, but I'm wrong. Spiritual arrogance is a dangerous thing... maybe Jesus threw the parable of the shrewd manager in there just so we wouldn't think we knew it all.

No comments: