Thursday, June 17, 2010

At His Father's Knee

Proverbs 4

I wonder what life was like for a young Solomon in David's house. With several wives and other children of various ages and a kingdom to run, Solomon must not have had a lot of playtime with his father. Even though playtime may have been in short supply, Solomon surely must have spent some time at David's knees learning from the king, for when he became king, Solomon remembered...
My father taught me, “Take my words to heart. Follow my commands, and you will live. Get wisdom; develop good judgment. Don’t forget my words or turn away from them. Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you.
When the Lord spoke to Solomon, he gave Solomon one wish, and Solomon asked for wisdom. A value he learned at his father's knee. It's great if father's can spend some playtime with their children, but it is far more important that they teach them values.

No comments: