Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Are You Listening?

1 Kings 19-22

After defeating 450 prophets of Baal, Ezekiel becomes afraid for his life because Jezebel put her sights on him, so he runs away and asks God to take his life. Ezekiel is clearly not thinking straight. As he slept under a broom tree, an angel of the Lord brought him bread and water and told him to eat. Ezekiel then traveled 40 days and nights to Mt Sinai. Once there he heard God say "What are you doing here, Ezekiel?"

Surely a prophet of the stature of Ezekiel knew the voice of God, but I wonder if he was listening on that long trip to Mt Sinai, or whether he was so focused on getting of of Jezebel's reach that he was deaf even to the voice of God. I wonder if that is why God tested Ezekiel's hearing next... first came a great wind, but that wasn't God, then an earthquake, then a fire, but those weren't God either. Finally God came in a gentle whisper, and Ezekiel heard it. God had Ezekiel's attention again... and sent him on a mission.

Is that me? Am I listening? If God whispers to me, will I hear it? Or am I too focused on my issues?

No comments: