Monday, November 17, 2008

Which Way Out?

Bible Readings... Romans 2
Highlighted Verse... Romans 2:12-13 - All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
Thoughts... Paul is telling us clearly that obedience is the only path to righteousness. Sinning, whether unconsciously (apart from the law) or consciously (under the law) ends negatively for the sinner. Just knowing the difference between right and wrong will not produce a harvest, but rather destruction. The only thing that will yield a harvest of righteousness, is obedience to God's word. Paul justifies the condemnation of the unknowing by reminding us that "the requirements of the law are written on their hearts."
My response to God... Merciful Savior, forgive me my trespasses. Help me to stay on the path that you have laid out for me. Help me to be obedient, even unto death, that I may dwell with you forever.

No comments: