Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Improper Perspective

Since Paul's letter to the Romans is so full of scriptural treasure, I may dwell on chapters for several days.

Bible Readings... Romans 1
Highlighted Verse...  Romans 1:11-13 - I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
Thoughts...  In the last entry I noticed how my perspective was so much different than God's preventing me from seeing his plans and purpose. In these verses, I notice another difference of perspective, and it is just as ugly. When I read these verses, I initially get the impression that Paul is boasting (I want to see you so I can make you better, I planned to come see you, so I could have a harvest among you, etc.). Upon reflection, what I see is that if I had said those things, I would have said them in boast... but Paul, in his sold out state is merely recording a fact. To be completely abandoned to God's will is to have only his interest at heart, and Paul was focused so much on God's will that he could scarcely boast, but rather just told the plans that God had laid out and he was following.
My response to God...  Dear Lord, remove from me any desire to lift up myself, but rather humble me before your throne.

No comments: