Friday, November 14, 2008

Evil Inventions

Bible Readings... Romans 1
Highlighted Verse... Romans 1:28-32 - Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
Thoughts... This is such a sad commentary on life during Paul's time. Unfortunately, it rings too true today. How arrogant can man get that he would thumb his nose at the creator of the universe? How evil does one need to be to invent ways of doing evil? Our modern contribution was to invent ways of having it beamed into our living rooms each night. And then, to top it all off, they encourage others to follow suit.
How it impressed me... Passages like this tend to make me introspective. At first I glibly say like the Pharisee,"Thank God I'm not like those people," but it doesn't take too long before I have to carefully read the passage and wonder how much is referring to me and my actions. Like Nicodemus, I come to Jesus in the cover of darkness to ask questions and try to reset my moral compass.
My response to God... Beautiful Savior, I grieve when I see how callously some people treat you until I realize that I have been there before, and but for your grace would be there still. Help me to forever set aside those things that grieve you. Help me to love you with my whole heart, mind, soul, and strength.

No comments: