Sunday, November 2, 2008

Last Resort

Bible Readings... Acts 21
Highlighted Verse... Acts 21:12-14 - When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, "The Lord's will be done."
Thoughts... Curiously, I don't think I ever really considered that Luke accompanied Paul on any of his missionary journeys, but the language here clearly indicates that Luke was there in his usage of first person language. But the part of this reading that caught my attention more was the believers response when they could not convince Paul to stay away from Jerusalem after a local prophet foresaw his capture. Verse 14 says it all "When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, 'The Lord's will be done.' "
How it impressed me... How often have we found ourselves in similar situations... when all else fails, I guess we should just trust the Lord. This is clearly not God's plan for our lives. His plan would be that we would trust him from the start and follow after his will all the days of our lives. 
My response to God... Dear Lord, help me to look to you first, rather than trying to do it all myself and then leaning on you when all else fails. Instead, instill in me the habit of trusting you completely with everything all the time.

No comments: