Saturday, May 1, 2010

Only a Fool

Psalms 51-53

Only fools say in their heart "There is no God."    Psalm 53:1  

Just how foolish must one be to say there is no God? To assert definitively that there is no all-knowing all-powerful being, one must somehow overlook the fact that for them to definitively know that this being does not exist, they must have infinite knowledge. So by asserting that there is no God, they are in effect asserting that they are God, and that is probably all the proof we need regarding their status as a fool... an arrogant fool.

We must consider the lack of common sense (i.e., foolishness) one must have to tell the creator of the heavens and the earth, the one (who if he exists) has control over life and death, that he is nothing... that he doesn't exist. Blaise Pascal, the 17th century mathematician and philosopher proposed what has become known as Pascal's Wager on the wisdom of belief, and hence the foolishness of unbelief.

I am convinced that many who say there is no God do so only to assuage a conscience that is guilty. Far better would they be to acknowledge his existence and seek his forgiveness as David did in Psalm 51.
Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. [...] Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. [...] Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. [...] Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me.

No comments: