Monday, May 17, 2010

Lost in Translation

Exodus 25-28

Reading in Exodus 25:5 earlier today, the translation I was using read "ram skins dyed red and hides of sea cows." I remember thinking... sea cows, hmm, interesting. So tonight, when I was re-reading to write up some comments I read in a different translation "tanned ram skins and fine goatskin leather." Now, I'm not a Hebrew or Greek scholar, but somehow, hides of sea cows and fine goatskin leather seem to be really different things. So I looked a little further. The KJV translation calls them badger skins. So exactly what kind of animal produced the hide used for the outer covering of the tabernacle? We'll probably never know for certain, but Wikipedia provides some interesting opinions about the source animal. One argument holds that since the badger and sea mammals were unclean, the Israelites were not allowed to touch them and therefore they are not likely candidates. It makes a strong case for an antelope called the addax. No, not a salvation issue, but an interesting study anyway,

No comments: