Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Savior Lives... And More

Mark 7-8

Christ Jesus... being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!

Paul's words to the Philippians are both poignant and precise today. As I celebrate Christ's resurrection on Easter I can see the victorious outcome of his obedience... his sacrificial death on the cross. And I rejoice... and I am humbled. Thank you, Jesus.

In today's reading, I see the sacrifice he made for the 33 years prior to his death. He shed the glory that was rightly his and put on the cloak of humanity. He stepped out of the purity of heaven to directly experience the messiness of earth; sharing space with... Pharisees who insisted on proper hand-washing while their hearts were dirty... Gentiles who had more faith than the children of God... and Apostles who alternated between understanding and misunderstanding. 

When I review my lackluster performance in dealing with the idiosyncrasies of people, I am once again humbled by his grace, and thankful that he puts up with me in the same way he put up with them. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments: