Monday, April 12, 2010

I Don't Know the Lord

Exodus 5-8

When Moses and Aaron approached Pharaoh to ask that the Israelites be allowed to leave Egypt to go and worship the Lord, Pharaoh's response was “And who is the Lord? Why should I listen to him and let Israel go? I don’t know the Lord, and I will not let Israel go.” Bad move Pharaoh. Soon enough Pharaoh would learn who the Lord was, and he would listen, and he would let the Lord's people go... even with a hardened heart.

Reminds me of a conversation recently recorded in a Fixed Point Foundation blog. Larry Taunton was speaking with a particle physicist at Oxford about the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. The physicist was excited about the possibility of finding the Higgs Boson... a sub-atomic particle conjectured to be the source of mass within other forces. The particle physicist was encouraged to continue looking because, in his words... “We have every reason to believe that [the Higgs boson] is real.  Although we have never actually seen it, we see its effects.”  How like the observation of C.S. Lewis:  “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

Pharaoh never met the Lord, but he certainly felt his effects. Hopefully we don't need the same "proof" that Pharaoh needed.

No comments: