Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Under Christ's Law

1 Corinthians 9-10

I've often wondered how best to express the condition that Christians are in with respect to the law. It is clear to me that the old covenant no longer applies since Jesus' sacrifice on the cross fulfilled the law, so in a very real way the 10 commandments are not law for us, but yet to ignore them would be a huge mistake. Paul depicts this condition very well in 1 Corinthians 20-21.
To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.
The parentheses tell the story in the story that I was searching for... "I myself am not under the law, though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law."

No comments: