Monday, March 1, 2010

I Don't Get It

Genesis 32-35

Sometimes I just don't get it (my children might argue that I seldom get it... but thats a different story). Some biblical stories just don't seem right. How could the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob put so much faith in his chosen ones? Especially Jacob! By earthly standards Jacob and his kids were just rotten... .even evil. It seems that at every step they do the wrong thing. Just in today's four chapters we see...
  • Jacob cowering before the prospect of meeting his brother Easu.
  • Jacob conniving to win his brother's favor by bribery.
  • Going so far as to call Esau "lord" even when he knew that his destiny was to be Esau's master based on the blessings that he stole from Esau.
  • Even after meeting Esau, he again deceives Esau by saying that he would follow after him, then went the other way.
  • Then his sons take retribution against an entire village because the son of the village leader raped their sister. They didn't limit their retribution to the offender, but instead, deceived the men of the town into becoming circumcised, then murdered them all, then stole all their stuff, and enslaved thier children and wives.
  • To top it off, Rueben, the oldest son slept with his father's concubine.
It is this hardy band of people to whom God says “I am El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty.’ Be fruitful and multiply. You will become a great nation, even many nations. Kings will be among your descendants! And I will give you the land I once gave to Abraham and Isaac. Yes, I will give it to you and your descendants after you.”

Really? This is really his chosen people? I don't get it! BUt God does, and he is Ell Shaddai -- God Almighty. He knew Jacob's heart. He knows mine too. What does he see there?

No comments: