Thursday, March 25, 2010

True Treasure

Job 23-24

In the midst of his suffering, Job has the ability to declare... "I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread." I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread... oh that I could truthfully claim the same. Do I even want to treasure his words more than food? Christ clearly did. When tempted by Satan to turn stones into bread, he declared "People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God." And later he told his followers "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again."

Job, who had never read the Word of God, believed this even in the midst of great suffering. Can I, living in the lap of luxury... having read all about it... believe it too? "Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends." He bids me come... to believe and share.

No comments: