Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Perfect Words

2 Timothy 1-2

In his sermon tonight, our pastor Craig Carter preached on The Wisdom of God. Among other things, he said that God reveals his wisdom through his word and we respond to God's wisdom by wise living grounded in scripture. To bring his point home he used the example that all of us have opened up the Bible and had that scripture speak to our immediate need. So that's the context in which I turned to 2 Timothy 1-2 tonight as part of my normal reading schedule. Four verses into the reading I read this...
I long to see you again, for I remember your tears as we parted. And I will be filled with joy when we are together again.
Today is the 244th day of 2010. If I had read this passage on any of those other 243 days, it would have meant very little to me... I probably would have slid right past it without a second glance. But today is not just any other day. Today is the day my first-born child Lauren left for a year long mission trip to Chicago with Mission Year. Today, I long to see her again, for I remember her tears as we parted (and mine later). And I will be filled with joy when we are together again (on December 17th). The remainder of the passage has Paul giving advice to his "son" Timothy... good advice for Lauren too (except I'm not in prison).

God's wisdom is perfect, and he has perfect words for each of us.

No comments: