Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Life Verse?

Colossians 1-2

I've never been a big fan of life verses, but some people for whom I have a lot of respect think highly of them. Perhaps I've never run across a verse at the intersection of my desires and God's desires for me. There is a verse in today's reading that could be just that...
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. (Colossians 2:8)
Paul's admonition to his friends at Colossae was to make sure that they made their decision on a true reading of scripture and not just what others had to say about the matter. I have become more and more convinced lately that part of the reason the the church in America has so little spiritual power is that it has become a business in so many ways. Likewise, it is becoming harder and harder to distinguish Christian workers from their worldly counterparts. What would it be like to live not according to "human tradition" or by the "common sense" principles of the world, but rather based on what the scriptures actually say? That sounds like a life worth living.