Thursday, October 28, 2010

Hard Work?

Ecclesiastes 1-2

When Solomon claims that he tried to find meaning in building a large home and planting beautiful vineyards, and building gardens and parks, and built reservoirs to collect water... but didn't find meaning, it occurred to me that I doubt he built any of it. While I have had pleasure and indeed a measure of worth in building things, I can't see how the same feelings would be engendered if you had your slaves build everything for you. I agree that all the material pleasures of this world cannot give meaning, but I think that is especially true when the cost is small. That which comes too easy, will never have much worth, and certainly not meaning. Perhaps true meaning really requires something that transcends life... something outside of life to provide meaning to life. In other words, meaning is endowed by something greater to something lesser, thus for human life to have meaning, it has to be bestowed upon humans by something greater... like a Creator.

No comments: