Tuesday, August 10, 2010

So That's Why He Wasn't Fired

1 Chronicles 1-4

I've never really been fond of the first part of 1st Chronicles... I think that I've stumbled over Chronicles more often than any other book in the Bible when trying to read through in a year... the genealogies always seem to trip me up. I don't think I've ever got much from them either, because there are so many unfamiliar names, but as I read scripture more often, some of the names get more familiar... like the names in 1 Chronicles 2:16.

I had often wondered why King David put up with the antics of his army commander Joab and his two brothers, Abishai and Asahel. There is no doubt that they were mighty warriors, but they didn't have David's heart and they didn't see things David's way. There were many other warriors that David could have tapped to assume the role of commander, but David never fired Joab, even though he placed a curse on their family. Why didn't David fire Joab, Abishai, and Asahel? Perhaps the answer is found in 1 Chronicles 2:16.
[David's] sisters were named Zeruiah and Abigail. Zeruiah had three sons named Abishai, Joab, and Asahel.
They were his nephews and were probably among his earliest supporters when Saul was chasing him around the countryside... and he would have had to face his big sister.

No comments: