Sunday, August 31, 2008

One Last Chance

Bible Readings... Luke 13
Highlighted Verse... Luke 13:6-9 - Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'
" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "
Thoughts... Jesus didn't really tell parables in a generic story-telling sort of way. Instead, he had a very specific purpose to his story-telling and chose the subject matter to fit the audience. What was his purpose here and by extension, what is his message for me today?
How it impressed me... The message to the Jewish nation two thousand years ago was probably the same call to repent of their ways or be cut off from God that His prophets had issued to the Israelites for hundreds of years. One last chance, once last chance... Fast forward to today, and I guess that the question is whether I'm on that last chance where I'm being watered and fertilized for one last chance to produce fruit before I'm cut down, rooted out, and thrown away. New inspiration for fruit bearing!
My response to God... Dear Lord, thank you for your patience and forbearance over the years giving me more chances, wiping the slate clean each time. Help me to recognize those whom you have perfectly positioned me to reach. Embolden me to speak the words of truth to ears waiting to hear your message.

No comments: