Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Jesus Gave Them Complete Power

Bible Readings... Luke 9
Highlighted Verse... Luke 9:1 - Jesus called together his twelve apostles and gave them complete power over all demons and diseases.
Thoughts... A couple of thoughts come to mind, but I don’t know if they contradict or confirm each other. (1) I have heard others speak of how the miraculous gifts are no longer present. Could that be because Jesus hasn’t given us the power or that we haven’t asked for it? (2) When we pray for healing and healing doesn’t occur, is it because we don’t have the power or something else?
How it impressed me... When we find that our prayer life is ineffective, or is not producing the results that we expected, even when we thought we were in God’s will, there might still be something missing — God’s gift of power to us. Forty verses later in this same chapter, Jesus, Peter, John, and James are coming down the mountain after the transfiguration and the same apostles that had “complete power over all demons and diseases” couldn’t rid the child of a demon because they were “stubborn and don't have any faith.” Am I stubborn and lacking in faith too?
My response to God... Lord, fill me with your power. Remove the stumbling blocks that get in the way of your will being foremost in my life. Help me to be flexible in bending to your ways and your will. Increase my faith.

No comments: