Monday, February 15, 2010

Underlying Character

Genesis 24-27

We often talk about a person being a "good guy." By that we don't mean that he is perfect or that he hasn't sinned, but rather that underneath it all, there is a man of character who the right thing. Take Isaac, under most circumstances he was righteous, except for that time when he pretended that his wife was his sister so that Abimilech wouldn't kill him for his wife... he must have learned that one from his father. I think his character was revealed more in how he dealt with the other shepherds after he was kicked out of Philistia into the Gerar Valley. When his servants dug a well, the local shepherds claimed it. Instead of fighting over it, he had them dig another well. When it was also claimed, he dug yet another well until finally there was enough space for everyone. It was to this person that the Lord said... “I am with you and will bless you. I will multiply your descendants, and they will become a great nation. I will do this because of my promise to Abraham, my servant.”

No comments: