Thursday, February 18, 2010

Defending God's Honor

Job 13-14

Suffice it to say that Job is not impressed with Zophar's response. He accuses him of lying to defend God's honor. Listen to his  "Are you defending God with lies? Do you make your dishonest arguments for his sake? Will you slant your testimony in his favor? Will you argue God’s case for him? What will happen when he finds out what you are doing? Can you fool him as easily as you fool people? No, you will be in trouble with him if you secretly slant your testimony in his favor." If he hadn't already said it earlier he probably finish it up with "If only you could be silent! That’s the wisest thing you could do."

I wonder how often we do the same thing... throw out platitudes about God to make other people think that we're tight with God, when really we couldn't be farther from him. I think back to some of the things I've said in the past, "My God would never...." Who was I kidding? My god was myself. The God, the one and only God who created the heavens and the earth didn't need Zophar to defend him, and he doesn't need me to defend either. What he wants is my obedience, my love, my will, my life... Me! What an awesome God.

No comments: